Welcome to Nutley Public Schools' PARCC Resource Page. Our goal is to provide teachers, parents, students, and community members with necessary information as it relates to the upcoming PARCC assessments.
What is PARCC? The Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC) is a consortium of 18 states plus the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands working together to develop a common set of K-12 assessments in English and math anchored in what it takes to be ready for college and careers. These new K-12 assessments will build a pathway to college and career readiness by the end of high school, mark students’ progress toward this goal from 3rd grade up, and provide teachers with timely information to inform instruction and provide student support.
What we do know about the PARCC assessments?
- In the 2016-2017 school year all 3rd-11th-grade students will take this computerized assessment.
- The assessments will cover English language arts and math.
- It is computer-based and aligned to the Common Core State Standards.
- The questions were created to measure deeper learning, critical-thinking, and problem solving skills.
- It will provide teachers with timely data to help guide instruction and student support.
- One prototype includes a video to watch followed by questions to answer.
- Fourth graders will be “expected to demonstrate sufficient keyboarding skills to type a minimum of one page in a single sitting.” In fifth grade, “two pages in a single sitting.”
PARCC Sample Test Questions:
- PARCC Practice Tests - ***Recommended for students and teachers to practice the PARCC prior to taking the pilot.
- PARCC Sample Questions - in the column on the left side please choose from both Math and ELA/Literacy samples from grades 3-12
- PARCC Test Preparation Tutorials - The purpose of these tutorials is to demonstrate the navigation and tools available for Computer-Based Assessments
- PARCC Released Items - Parents can view the test questions from last year including sample student responses to open-ended test questions, such as writing tasks, that received high scores and lower scores.
- Elementary School Math Prototype Questions Grades 3-4
- Elementary School Math Prototype Questions Grades 6-7
- High School Math Prototype Questions
PARCC Resources & Websites:
- GreatSchools.org Test Guide for Parents
- PARCC Website
- PARCC FAQ
- PARCC Fact Sheet & Backgrounder
- PARCC for Parents
- PARCC Parents Guide for Students with Disabilities
- Get PARCCed - PARCC Readiness
- Tech Skills Needed for Successful Online Testing (TechieTeacher)
- Your Child's PARCC Score
PARCC Support & Training:
- PARCC Assessment Administration Guidance
- PARCC Field Test Administrator Manual for Computer Based Testing
- PARCC Training & Support Site
Keyboarding & Typing Practice Sites:
- Typing Web
- Big Brown Bear
- Dance Mat Typing
- Keyboard Zoo - for grades K-2
- Peter's Online Typing Course
Common Core Articles & Resources:
- School Leader - Get Ready For PARCC
- Common Core Truths
- NJ State Standards