April 9, 2020
Dear Nutley Community,
As you have been made aware, due to the closure of the Nutley Public Schools for COVID-19, we have applied for and have been approved by the New Jersey Department of Agriculture to operate temporarily under the Seamless Summer Option (SSO).
The Seamless Summer Option is a federal meal program that encourages more School Food Authorities (SFAs), already participating in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and School Breakfast Program (SBP), to provide meals during periods longer than 10 days of closure.
This is a reminder that the meal distribution schedule will change to accommodate the revisions to the school calendar. Beginning Tuesday, April 14, meal pick-up will be Tuesdays and Fridays. Open air distribution will take place at the side of the Nutley Family Service Bureau Annex located at 169 Chestnut Street, Nutley. Students and/or families should look for the white tents. Food distribution will continue until the schools reopen.
Pick up is between 10:30AM and 1:30PM Tuesday and Friday.
- When possible, last names beginning with letters A-M should pick-up between 10:30 AM and 12:00 noon.
- When possible, last names beginning with letters N-Z should pick-up between 12:00 noon and 1:30 PM
- Any child under the age of 18 can pick up the meals for the family. Students will receive lunch and breakfast for each day covering Monday through Friday. Volunteers will have families sign for the meals and maintain the roster.
- Any adult 18 years or older who is requesting meals will be required to show proof of Nutley residency (driver’s license, utility bill, lease document, etc.) and provide children’s names and ages. Failure to provide the necessary Nutley residency documentation will result in a denial of grab and go meals.
- No resident will be denied services from NFSB. The Nutley Family Service Bureau also maintains the community food pantry responding to the needs of those among us who experience food insecurity. If a person or family needs additional food support, they are instructed to call 973-667-1884, option #7. Information is also available on the NFSB website, https://www.nutleyfamily.org/food-pantry
All Nutley resident children under the age of 18 regardless of school or eligibility for free/reduced lunch are able to be provided with grab and go meals by our food service provider Pomptonian at the distribution location. In addition to fresh meals prepared by Pomptonian, the NFSB has received fresh food and dairy items, as well as household goods from Imperfect Produce, US Foods, and donations from local bakeries and food stores that they are sharing, when available.
Parking is free in the Municipal Lot to allow for the safe movement of people and products.