Governor Murphy amended his prior Executive Order that banned parents and spectators from youth sporting events. Under Friday’s Executive Order, the number of people at such indoor gatherings is still limited to 35% of the capacity of the room, capped at 150 people. This is inclusive of all coaches, players, officials, and parents/guardians (capped at 2 parents per athlete) because they are now deemed “necessary” for the practice or competition.
The New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, (NJSIAA) and the New Jersey COVID-19 regulations require us to make adjustments to our current operating procedures that we are required to follow and abide by.
· Two parents or guardians per participating athlete may attend interscholastic events. Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate siblings or other children.
· Compliance with all NJ Department of Health guidelines for sports activities must still be followed. This includes, but is not limited to face masks, social distancing, proper hand hygiene, etc.
Our goal is to remain focused on what is most important; maintaining the health and safety of our students while providing them the opportunity to play the games they love.
After a review of the capacities of our facilities and a careful assessment of our ability to manage crowds while keeping everyone safe, the following measures will be put in place until further notice: Below are guidelines for the winter season.
- As per NJSIAA and Governor Murphy’s executive order, indoor gatherings cannot exceed 150 people including those who are directly involved with the athletic contest and including 2 parents per participant. Please be advised this could change at any time
- Spectators MUST wear face masks and be SOCIALLY DISTANCED throughout the entire contest in the bleachers.
- Failure to comply with these rules will result in possible removal from the contest
Parents will be required to fill out the attached COVID form and present it at the registration table upon entering the game. In addition they will be required to have their temperature taken. If you are experiencing symptoms or are feeling under the weather we respectfully ask you to stay home. You will not be able to give your spot to another family member. Each student athlete is allowed to have 2 parents or legal guardians attend.
Both bowling and hockey use off site facilitates and although the amended order allows for 2 parents per participant the facility reserves the right to implement their own protocols and are not required to allow for parents and spectators. To view Codey Arena’s spectator policy please visit https://www.essexcountyparks.org/south-mountain/codey-arena.
We still plan to live stream all of the Girls’ and Boys’ Basketball and Hockey home games. You may view the games on our website www.nutleyschools.org through our Youtube platform.
Due to the simultaneous contests and required participants Brunswick Lanes has not established spectator protocol.
If you should have any questions please feel free to contact the Athletic Office.
Joe Piro, Director of Athletics