Office of Curriculum & Instruction
The Office of Curriculum and Instruction directs Nutley Public School District's curriculum development and revision in accordance with the New Jersey Student Learning Standards and oversees district-wide professional development and mentoring.
Janine Hess Loconsolo
Assistant Superintendent of Schools: Curriculum and Instruction
The New Jersey Student Learning Standards (NJSLS) are reviewed and revised (as needed) every 5 years. The 2020 Draft New Jersey Student Learning Standards webpage provides links to the 2020 draft NJSLS and information on how to share feedback via email or public comment sessions.
In 1996, the New Jersey State Board of Education adopted the state's first set of academic standards called the Core Curriculum Content Standards. The standards described what students should know and be able to do upon completion of a thirteen-year public school education. Over the last twenty years, New Jersey's academic standards have laid the foundation for local district curricula that is used by teachers in their daily lesson plans.
Revised every five years, the standards provide local school districts with clear and specific benchmarks for student achievement in nine content areas. Developed and reviewed by panels of teachers, administrators, parents, students, and representatives from higher education, business, and the community, the standards are influenced by national standards, research-based practice, and student needs. The standards define a "Thorough and Efficient Education" as guaranteed in 1875 by the New Jersey Constitution. Currently the standards are designed to prepare our students for college and careers by emphasizing high-level skills needed for tomorrow's world.
The New Jersey Student Learning Standards include Preschool Teaching and Learning Standards, as well as nine K-12 standards for the following content areas:
- 21st Century Life and Careers
- Comprehensive Health and Physical Education
- English Language Arts
- Social Studies
- Visual and Performing Arts
- World Languages
Curriculum and Instruction Resources
- Spring 2022 NJSLA Parent Guide
- 21-22 District Assessment Calendar
- NJ Student Learning Standards
- NJ Student Learning Assessment (NJSLA)
- NJ Graduation Requirements
- 2020 Health/PE Standards
- Chapter 27 Emergency Virtual or Remote Instruction Programs (Draft Plan)
Nutley Parent Academy Catalog and Recordings
- Spring 2022 NJ Student Learning Assessment Data Presentation (October 17, 2022)
- Fall 2021 Start Strong Assessment Data Presentation (January 31, 2022)
- 2018-2019 Student Assessment Data Presentation (September 23, 2019)
- 2017-2018 NJDOE Performance Report Presentation (April 29, 2019)
- 2017-2018 Student Assessment Data Presentation (October 1, 2018)