NHS Attendance Office
Reporting a Student’s Attendance Through the Parent Portal:
DO NOT share your username and password with your child and update your contact information to ensure you receive the proper notification.
Please follow the steps below in order to enter an absence electronically:
- Login to the Parent Portal
- Click Daily Attendance
- Click Report Student Attendance
- Select Date Type (Single Day or Date Range)
- Enter the date(s) MM/DD/YYYY
- Select Absent Excused
- Leave a note for the Attendance Office (Optional)
- Click Review Attendance Request &
- Click SUBMIT Attendance Request (You must hit submit or the absence will not be processed)
*You will see the absence pending until it is approved by the Attendance Office on the Report Attendance page
*Future absences entered will remain on the Report Attendance page until the day the absence occurs.
You will receive an email from the Attendance Office regarding the absence entered to confirm the absence is valid. If you receive notification regarding an absence created electronically and you did NOT enter the absence, please call the Attendance Office at 973-661-8865 to report the discrepancy.
Mrs. Devore, Vice Principal
Nutley High School
Every Day Counts!!!! You Miss School, You Miss Out!!!!
Mrs. Devore, Vice Principal
At Nutley High School we are determined to make the school community understand how crucial a student's attendance is to their academic performance and overall social and emotional development.
7 Facts About School Attendance
1. Absenteeism in the first month of school can predict poor attendance throughout the school year. Half the students who miss 2-4 days in September go on to miss nearly a month of school.
2. An estimated 5 million to 7.5 million U.S. students miss nearly a month of school each year.
3. Research shows that missing 10 percent of the school, or about 18 days in most school districts, negatively affects a student’s academic performance. That’s just two days a month and that’s known as chronic absence.
4. The academic impact of missing that much school is the same whether the absences are excused or unexcused. Suspensions also add to lost time in the classroom.
5. Low-income students are four times more likely to be chronically absent than others often for reasons beyond their control, such as unstable housing, unreliable transportation and a lack of access to health care.
6. When students improve their attendance rates, they improve their academic prospects and chances for graduating.
7. Attendance improves when schools engage students and parents in positive ways and when schools provide mentors for chronically absent students.
Parents, please avoid the following if possible:
1. Making a doctor's appointment during school hours
2. Allowing your child to arrive late to school
3. Planning vacations on school days
Please support our mission and encourage your child to come to school every day! If we can lower the chronic absenteeism rate, we will give our students more opportunities to succeed!
NHS Attendance Policy
Tardy To School:
If a student is tardy:
- Students are allowed to be excused 9 times by a parent or guardian
- Once a student exceeds 9 excused tardies, they will be required to serve a central detention from 2:53pm-3:38pm on the same day
- If a student is tardy unexcused, they will be required to serve a central detention from 2:53pm-3:38pm on the same day
- Every 4 unexcused tardies will convert into an absence
*If a student is involved in an extra-curricular activity such as a sport or the play, they are not excused from central detention.
Absent From School:
If a student is going to be absent from school:
- A parent or guardian must call the Attendance Hotline to report the absence at 973-320-8305 by 7:00am
- A parent or guardian must call the Attendance Office to report the absence at 973-661-8830 by 10:30am
- Students are not allowed to exceed 15 absences in one school year or they will lose credit for their classes, or 8 absences for a semester course, or 4 absences for a single marking period course.
- Please bring in a doctor's note if your child is sick, the note will be used to excuse your child's absence and placed in their electronic file. Please be aware, all doctor's notes provided to the Attendance Office will not be reflected in realtime.
GRADES GO DOWN WHEN YOU'RE NOT AROUND!